Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Fetid

I rarely get an opportunity to use that word, but tonight's weather conditions could be used to define "fetid". Add in an inversion layer, and the stink of incinerating poop and PVC and lord knows what else has settled over the FOB like the carpet from an old lady's house which has had 75 cats and 52 dogs cooped up inside all day...for the past 20 years. Yep, it's truly that bad. My sympathies go out to any troops who have to be outside all night. As for yours truly, I'll soon be racked out, sleeping with my head nestled in my just-arrived from home Tempur-pedic pillow.

My adrenaline got worked up a bit just now...heard a couple of bursts of automatic weapons fire to the south...turned out to be a unit armorer test firing a newly-repaired machine gun...

Final commentary: In yesterday's Stars and Stripes newspaper, some Iraqi colonel was quoted as saying something to the effect of, "Don't worry, we now have all the U.S. Troops safely under house arrest on their bases." Hmmm...guess I finally now have something in common with Martha Stewart, which may explain the overwhelming urge I just got to start crocheting a tea cozy for my canteen. "It's a good thing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment