Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wishin' I Was Fishin'

While conducting combat convoy training yesterday, we passed a small pond that looked just right for a morning of fly fishing. I'm not planning to smuggle my fly rod and float tube into our FOB, though I'm told that there is a carp fishing pond somewhere within the perimeter, but the sight of that pond made me think of a great gift from my friend A. W. He is the guy who taught me to fly fish, and we've spent a number (though not nearly enough) of excellent days on backwoods beaver ponds hauling in nice fat rainbow trout. I know a lot of (mostly) guys who mention wistfully how they'd like to learn how to fly fish, but haven't had the opportunity or the teacher. So, here's a big "Thanks, Bro!" to my friend for passing on the knowledge and passion...I'll look forward to our first strike when I return home!

No comments:

Post a Comment