Saturday, November 17, 2012

Using Suitable Restraint...

I started writing a post about the latest Army/CIA leadership scandals back when they first hit the news. After some reflection, I decided to refrain from adding my two cents worth, not due to shyness or lack of opinion, but rather a rare moment of mature insight.

There is ALWAYS more to the story with these kinds of situations. Once the media, pundits, bloggers, and the Twitterverse collide with the participants' lawyers and spokespersons, then the facts are lost in a tsunami of speculation, rumor and innuendo. One more uninformed voice adding to that maelstrom of baloney does nothing positive.

Instead, I'm reading several books written prior to all this drama hitting the news, which are adding to my overall understanding of current leadership issues. One that I'm finding thoroughly fascinating is The Operators, written by Michael Hastings. Hastings is the guy who gained instant notoriety as the Rolling Stone reporter embedded with GEN Stanley McChrystal's staff. Hasting's story ultimately led to  President Obama relieving the General, and replacing him with David Petraeus...which eventually led to, well, you get the picture.

So I'm going to let the whole mess in the media and DC continue to percolate while I try to actually learn something.

No comments:

Post a Comment