Friday, April 12, 2013

My Review of "Loopers, A Caddie's Twenty-Year Golf Odyssey" by John Dunn


John Dunn has led a life that I suspect many of us golfers really envy. On the other hand, I doubt that most of us possess the requisite talent and courage needed to live a similar lifestyle portrayed so engagingly in "Loopers". Fortunately, folks like me can live vicariously for a few days through Mr. Dunn's excellent first book.

What I liked best about "Loopers" is the way John Dunn managed to effectively transmit many of his emotions through the way he described his experiences. While many of his vignettes will resonate the most with golfers, for example caddying alongside Masters legend Arnold Palmer at Augusta National, I think non-golfers will be able to appreciate John Dunn's tales for his self-deprecating humor, perceptive observations, and well-crafted paragraphs. Reading "Loopers" reminded me of playing a fast solo 18 holes on a deserted course, when most of my shots go where I intended, and the experience becomes purely pleasurable...no concerns about slow play, competition, or anything else besides my swing, the flight of the ball, and appreciating the golf course. "Loopers" lasted just the right amount of time, never staying on one particular hole too long, but still savoring gorgeous views along the way.

While I've only caddied once in my life, at a local club tournament in Southern California in the early 70s, I've often wondered what it would be like to become a part-time looper in a few years after I retire. John Dunn has made that notion seem a lot more inviting. That's the mark of a good writer, opening our eyes to new possibilities and challenges. But even if I never carry a bag (other than my own) at Chambers Bay, I will always appreciate having been a "Virtual Looper" alongside John Dunn. He deserves a big tip for his work!
Comment | 

2 comments:

  1. Fighting Leprechaun here: A decade later, I am reviewing this blog and realized how prescient I was 10 years ago. I'm now a full-time "Looper" at Chambers Bay Golf Club, and have been for 7 years. I've caddied for an LPGA Senior Tour player, and in 3 different USGA Championships (Men's 4-ball, Women's Amateur, and Women's 4-Ball), plus a number of celebrities and very cool recreational golfers. Some have even become friends, like bestselling golf author Tom Coyne. I truly love my caddie brothers, and looping has turned out to be my favorite of my 4 careers! Cheers, to any who might happen upon this old blog...sometimes dreams do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I wrote this post almost 11 years ago, I had no idea that I would end up as a regular professional caddie at Chambers Bay. During my short career, I've caddied for competitors at 3 USGA championships, an LPGA Legends Tour event, and a whole bunch of recreational golfers, including some pretty cool celebrities! This caddie gig has also opened up some amazing golf opportunities and worldwide friendships. I'm an honorary caddie at Brora Golf Club in Scotland, Ballybunion and Tralee Golf Clubs in Ireland, and I have the caddie bibs/towels/rain jackets to prove it! Of my 4 careers, it's my favorite. And at 70 years old, being able to walk 60 miles per week carrying someone's golf bag up and down the dunes of Chambers Bay is the best form of fitness training! Just like John Dunn, sometimes looper dreams do come true!

    ReplyDelete